August 31, 2009

Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee

Casey Han's parents, who live in Queens, are Korean immigrants working in a dry cleaner, desperately trying to hold onto their culture and identity. Their daughter, on the other hand, has entered into the upper echelon of rarified American society via scholarships. But after graduation, Casey's trust-fund friends see only opportunity and choices while Casey sees the reality of having expensive habits without the means to sustain them. As Casey navigates Manhattan, we see her life and the lives of those around her: her sheltered mother, scarred father, her friend Ella who's always been the good Korean girl, Ella's ambitious Korean husband and his Caucasian mistress, Casey's white fiancé, and then her Korean boyfriend, all culminating in a portrait of New York City and its world of haves and have-nots. (from Barnes and Noble)

I really like reading Asian literature and I couldn't wait to read this national bestseller. It was recommended by a fellow blogger who is Korean, like the characters in this book. He said that not everyone would understand it if they weren't Asian. Hmmmm. I guess I would allow him that maybe I wouldn't totally get it since I don't live in that culture but let me tell you, parental disappointment trancends culture and ethnicity. Can I get an Amen?

Loved it.

0 comments: