May 24, 2008

Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan

San Francisco art patron Bibi Chen has planned a journey of the senses along the famed Burma Road for eleven lucky friends. But after her mysterious death, Bibi watches aghast from her ghostly perch as the travelers veer off her itinerary and embark on a trail paved with cultural gaffes and tribal curses, Buddhist illusions and romantic desires. On Christmas morning, the tourists cruise across a misty lake and disappear.

The reviews for this book were not very good. But I love Amy Tan--surely they're wrong! After all it was a New York Times bestseller and USA Today referred to it as "rollicking" but sadly, I can't recommend this book. It didn't hold my interest. I could go days without reading it and not miss it. I just didn't care for any of the characters, even the ones I think we were supposed to care about. I did learn a lot about Myanmar, that was a plus. Oh, it did get good towards the end but not enough to save the book. Still love Amy Tan though.

0 comments: